Tuesday, January 20, 2009

THE INCIDENT

Taking a fall is as easy 
as falling off a log
which I did the morning after the Melbourne Cup Day
astride that huge tree trunk
legs curlicued to hold me firm
I swung hard at that stubborn bolt, missed and got thrown away ....

The sledge took me down
a rapid descent, surprised I was falling
no doubt though about my welcome to hard earth
no wonder its called terra firma
it was solid and unyielding and dry
it hurt as it must have hurt my mother giving me birth

Ray made a grab for me
and got my hat as it left my head
but I was gone sans parachute on a short base-jump
"Winded" is a polite term for this brutal landing
hyper-ventilating, trying to get some air into every crevice 
aching, distressed ...Oh Joy! my heart started to pump

Bycycled my legs, glad to feel them move
arms followed suit on command from my brain
I could nod my head, I knew I wasn't in too much strife
the fall of about nine feet isn't much
reality suspends, its like an out-of-body experience
until the jolt that awakens you or doesn't ... that's life

No comments: