Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A TALE OF TWO CTs

My anxiety increased as I drove to Brisbane that morn
how do you gauge a doctor's concern?
when he's inscrutable in mien, clinical in character
my thoughts raced as my car did on my way to Brissie

There ... I gulped down two litres of vile green liquid
and dumped the third litre on an unsuspecting plant
undressed and put on  silly gown nine sizes too large
with the ties located back-to-front
entered the chamber outwardly serene and nonchalant
(observed the Japanese origin of the machine, marvelling at their ubiquity and ingenuity)

A disembodied voice instructed me to lie quiet, supine
lights flashing, sibilantly purring, the machine prowled around its casing
taking, I assumed, sectional views of my body
as I moved back and forth on a traversing pallet

The machine roamed north and south, pubis to gullet
then, a twenty minute respite and more vile liquid
busting for a pee but ensconced and palletised
more lights, buzzes, movement, instructions and ... it was over
left feeling anti-climactic (like a creek without a paddle) 

I sat down in the waiting area and improved my knowledge of celebrity
waiting to collect the prints, which I did, 9 magazines later 
good pictures I thought but what do they mean?
had a captain cook at the doctors report
medical mumbo-jumbo, wasn't much I could glean

Back home to Taabinga and an interrogation by Pauline
"read the quacks report and you'll know more than me maybe" said I
and till the next round of tests, the verdicts out ...
meanwhile let's enjoy ourselves as a family

2 comments:

BoguszBlog said...

Bernie. A great pun! You took a potentially boring topic and prescribed it with enough surgical precision, clinical interest, elective phrasing and a dose of comedy to create a great diagnostic tale worthy of Dickens.

Ripper melody Borus!!!!!

fleurbogusz.blogspot.com said...

Most of these medical tests I have found to be worse than an operation. I should know as I have had seven and the last surgeon had to admit that was a lot. So my philosophy is, if there is something wrong, whip it out and after a short time your life will return to normal. If it is your time then it's in God's hands. Enjoy everyday with no regrets!!! Flowerpot