Monday, February 9, 2009

DRESS REHEARSAL

And when I die
don't leave me supine, even in renewable timber
occupying space supplied by some overweening undertaker
at the price of an arm and a leg
after all I'm dead, deceased, carked it, brown bread, finis
only my corporeal remains remain

The grim reaper has reaped what was sown years before
and its dust to dusty ashes
for me a fire, a pyre but ... I don't want to add to the hole in the ozone layer
that inexplicably, intractably occurs in this hemisphere
when the majority of the culprits (us humans) who sully and defoliate
live in the other half of the planet

But for me, eschew the fancy trappings, the mock gilt
the blandishments of the unctuous funeral person
funereal by mien and insincere visage dissembling
the cortege, the dirge, to inter me with a knell
the obsequies appropriate (and pecuniary) to the dead.

Don't weaken or bother yourself on my account
for when I'm in a terminal state of narcolepsy
it's unlikely that I will attempt a Lazarus
to judge the parsimony or opulence exercised by you at my demise

In the shucking of my mortal coil, remember my proclivity ....
for the odd glass of wine or seven
and have a decent wake to remind you of me
and quote the lines of that prescient poet in my memory .... 
"Sound , sound the trumpet, fill the fife
throughout the earthly world proclaim
one crowded hour of glorious life
is worth an age without a name"

2 comments:

fleurbogusz.blogspot.com said...

We will have a drink or seven to celebrate your friendship!!! When Barry passed we all got so pissed over at Katy's. I'm sure Barry would have been pleased. I feel the same way you do about the funeral companies. However, I believe the soul moves on to another host!!!
Flowerpot.

BoguszBlog said...

You're right Bernie . . . just as you said
When your times up and you're dead
The money would be better spent on a toast
To the life of the dearly departed host
With those who can appreciate it the most
The final philanthropic deed
Of a life lived without greed
Not to be squandered on a ceremonial boast
Only to profit an undertakers spurious need

Another good one Ollie.