Thursday, July 23, 2009

OUR LOCALS ARE BEAUTIES

I'm referring to the natives, plants that have evolved over eons
thriving in conditions sandy, salty, windy almost cyclonic
crucial to protecting our dunes and coast from erosion
from sudden storms and deluges, awesome and demonic
Wallum, the coastal heathland plant native to this area
is considered just as important as a rainforest tropical
protecting everything beneath a impenetrable canopy
providing food and shelter for native bird or animal
More and more of this ancient wallum is disappearing
bushes, sedges, grasses, shrubs giving way to 'development'
leaving only small pockets of native bushland behind
to be over-run and destroyed by exotics beyond containment
I'll be rooting out the introduced weeds and pests that lurk
and plant more natives that belong to the region
adapted to the conditions that have prevailed ...
I hope they'll flourish and fruit or flower in profusion
Coastal banksia, pandanus, tuckeroo, myrtle and lasiandra
I'm even trying Fraser Island creeper where it's sunny
no camphor laurel, cocos palm, cassia, umbrella or lantana
even confined the mock orange in a pot, a safe bet for my money
I like where I'm living these days on the Sunshine Coast
the aspect is fine, the weather and the neighbours are kind
I could live for a while in the hinterland or on the range
but the coast and its natives are irresistible, just divine

No comments: